Bylaws of The Association
Nov 18, 2021
Re: Agenda for AGM – Nov 25th, 2021
Board Members -Kieley Beaudry (President)
Kelly Mauro (Secretary & Treasurer)
A. Introductions: Keiley Beaudry President, Kelly Mauro Secretary & Treasurer, Board intros
Bylaws of The Association
The ACMLA brings together professionals and participants in the cultivation field of the cannabis sector. The
summit committee encourages delegates to meet other delegates with the goal of forming a strong community
based on information sharing, to strengthen the industry.
• Unsolicited sales are not welcome.
• Be professional in your conduct and respect delegates, speakers, staff and organizers.
• Sponsor behaviour should be aligned with ACMLA values during the conference
• Harassment, of any kind, will not be tolerated and you will be asked to leave, without a refund.
• Summit feedback indicates that delegates want the absence of strong sales pitches, so they can focus on
educational component of the summits and association.
• Please report inappropriate behaviour to association organizers.
• Sponsorship is understood to mean financial support for the association and it's events.
• Respect the integrity and credibility of ACMLA and its members.
• Refrain from using privileged access to the ACMLA membership and extended community for un-invited sales &
1. Membership fee, if any, in the society shall be determined, from time to time, by the members at a general
meeting. Any person residing in Alberta, and being of the full age of 18 years, may become a member by a
favourable vote passed by a majority of the members at a regular meeting of the society, and upon payment of the
fee. Such voting shall be by ballot, unless the meeting by resolution otherwise decides.
2. Any member wishing to withdraw from membership may do so upon a notice in writing to the Board through its
Secretary. If any member is in arrears for fees or assessments for any year, such member shall be automatically
suspended at the expiration of six months from the end of such year and shall thereafter be entitled to no
membership privileges or powers in the society until reinstated. Any member upon a majority vote of all members
of the society in good standing may be expelled from membership for any cause which the society may deem
BOARD OF DIRECTORS
3. Board of Directors, Executive Committee or Board, shall mean the Board of Directors of the society.
4. The Board shall, subject to the bylaws or directions given it by majority vote at any meeting properly called and
constituted, have full control and management of the affairs of the society,and meetings of the Board shall be held
as often as may be required, but at least once every three months, and shall be called by the President. A special
meeting may be called on the instructions of any two members provided they request the President in writing to
call such meetings, and state the business to be brought before the meeting. Meetings of the Board shall be called
by 10 days notice in writing mailed to each member or by three days notice by fax or telephone. Any four members
shall constitute a quorum, and meetings shall be held without notice if a quorum of the Board is present, provided
however, that any business transactions at such meeting shall be ratified at the next regularly called meeting of
the Board; otherwise they shall be null and void.
5. A person appointed or elected a director becomes a director if they were present at the meeting when being
appointed or elected, and did not refuse the appointment. They may also become a director if they were not
present at the meeting but consented in writing to act as director before the appointment or election, or within
ten days after the appointment or election, or if they acted as a director pursuant to the appointment or election.
6. Any director of officer, upon a majority vote of all members in good standing, may be removed from office or
any cause which the society may deem reasonable.
7. The President shall be ex-officio a member of all Committees. He/she shall, when present, preside at all
meetings of the society and of the Board. In his/her absence, the Vice-President shall preside at any such meetings.
In the absence of both, a chairperson may be elected at the meeting to preside.
8. It shall be the duty of the secretary to attend all meetings of the society and of the Board, and to keep accurate
minutes of the same. He/she shall have charge of the Seal of the society which whenever used shall be
authenticated by the signature of the Secretary and the President, or, in the case of the death or inability of either
to act, by the Vice-President. In case of the absence of the Secretary, his/her duties shall be discharged by such
officer as may be appointed by the Board. The Secretary shall have charge of all the correspondence of the society
and be under the direction of the President and the Board.
9. The Secretary shall also keep a record of all the members of the society and their addresses, send all notices of
the various meetings as required, and collect and receive the annual dues or assessments levied by the society.
Such monies shall be promptly turned over to the Treasurer for deposit in a Bank, Trust Company, Credit Union or
Treasury Branch as required.
10. The Treasurer shall receive all monies paid to the society and be responsible for the deposit of same in
whatever Bank, Trust Company, Credit Union or Treasury Branch the Board may order. He/she shall properly
account for the funds of the society and keep such books as may be directed. He/she shall present a full detailed
account of receipts and disbursements to the Board whenever requested and shall prepare for submission to the
Annual Meeting a statement duly audited of the financial position of the society and submit a copy of same to the
Secretary for the records of the society. The Office of the Secretary and Treasurer may be filled by one person if
any annual meeting for the election of officers shall so decide.
11. The books, accounts and records of the Secretary and Treasurer shall be audited at least once each year by a
duly qualified accountant or by two members of the society elected for that purpose at the Annual Meeting. A
complete and proper statement of the standing of the books for the previous year shall be submitted by such
auditor at the Annual Meeting of the society. The fiscal year end of the society in each year shall be May 31.
12. The books and records of the society may be inspected by any member of the society at the Annual Meeting or
at anytime upon giving reasonable notice and arranging a time satisfactory to the officer or officers having charge
of same. Each member of the Board shall at all times have access to such books and records.
13. This society shall hold an annual meeting on or before Dec 31 in each year, of which notice in writing to the last
known address of each member shall be delivered in the mail 30 days prior to the date of the meeting. At this
meeting there shall be elected a President, Vice-President, and Secretary. The officers and directors so elected
shall form a Board, and shall serve until their successors are elected and installed. Any vacancy occurring during
the year shall be filled at the next meeting, provided it is so stated in the notice calling such meeting. Any member
in good standing shall be eligible to any office in the society.
14. General meetings of the society may be called at any time by the Secretary upon the instructions of the
President or Board by notice in writing to the last known address of each member, delivered in the mail eight days
prior to the date of such meeting. A special meeting shall be called by the President or Secretary upon receipt of a
petition signed by one-third of the members in good standing, setting forth the reasons for calling such meeting,
which shall be by letter to the last known address o each member, delivered in the mail eight days prior to the
15. 51% members in good standing shall constitute a quorum at any meeting.
16. Any member who has not withdrawn from membership nor has been suspended nor expelled shall have the
right to vote at any meeting of the society. Such votes must be made in person and not by proxy or otherwise.
17. Unless authorized at any meeting and after notice for same shall have been given, no officer, director, or
member of the society shall receive any remuneration for his/her services.
18. For the purpose of carrying out its objects, the society may borrow or raise or secure the payment of money in
such manner as it thinks fit, and in particular by the issue of debentures, but this power shall be exercised only
under the authority of the society, and in no case shall debentures be issued without the sanction of a special
resolution of the society.
19. The Bylaws may be rescinded, altered or added to by a “Special Resolution”.
C. Financial Overview –
- Summary and projections
D. Year in Review =
- Sept 2020: Incorporated as Society
- October 2020: Meeting with AGLC resulting in decrease of liability insurance on seeds and
clones (10 million to 2 million seeds/clones, 10 million to 5 million dried flower)
- Jan – Feb 2021: Multiple meetings with CFIB (Canadian Federation of Independent Businesses)
to discuss their involvement with Cannabis Industry. When we reach 25 members, we will
receive a discounted CFIB membership rate for all ACMLA members.
- January 2021: Bank Account Open
- Feb 2021: Membership Starts
- May 2021: Registered as a Lobbyist group
- June 2021: AGLC gives us non- voting seat for meeting attendance
- August 2021: Letter to Ministers Re: Soft Farm Gate
- September 2021: Attendance at Hempfest
- October 2021: Excise tax initiative – letter in progress
Not for Profit broker for members – discussion ongoing